Author Topic: Too few K frames in .mp4 output from 6.1?  (Read 7126 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »
Hello pderocco,

Thank you for your post.

1) The output file now seems to have far fewer K frames (I'm guessing) than 6.0 produced. When I open the output file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC, and try to position somewhere in the middle of the file, it often sits there for 10 seconds with the timer counting up, before it finally begins to show the video. In the older version, I could position around at will, and the proper video would appear within a fraction of a second. I've gone back to the 6.0 version (which unfortunately resurrects some other bugs), and redid the same videos, and the results are fine now.
I've tried to reproduce this issue at our end, but regrettably have not found problems with long positioning on output files in Media Player Classic.
Could you please upload for us sample of original file that you open in Video Splitter? You can use e.g. Google drive or Dropbox.com to upload it. Also please send the project file - to get it select fragments for saving then follow to File / Save project as.

2) When moving around in the timeline, in 6.1 I often see a gray "ghost" image, as if there was no K frame available, so it tried to apply the relative frame on top of a solid gray frame. This never seems to appear in the resulting output file, though, but I suspect it's related to problem 1.

Please give us the screenshot of what you mean and upload please the file on which you see this.

3) When I open a file in the timeline, it takes a loooooong time for the thumbnails to appear. Sometimes, it takes ten or twenty seconds between thumbnails, during which time the CPU usage is zero. In 6.0, they appear at a rate of about one per second (on a fast machine).
I've checked this at our end and seems the time for thumbnails appearing is normal. Please also upload for us the input file for this case. Do you just drag the file from Media to the timeline to see thumbnails, right? 

Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:39:27 AM »
I just upgraded from 6.0.1608.10 to 6.1.1611.25. On .mp4 files, I'm having some significant problems:

1) The output file now seems to have far fewer K frames (I'm guessing) than 6.0 produced. When I open the output file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC, and try to position somewhere in the middle of the file, it often sits there for 10 seconds with the timer counting up, before it finally begins to show the video. In the older version, I could position around at will, and the proper video would appear within a fraction of a second. I've gone back to the 6.0 version (which unfortunately resurrects some other bugs), and redid the same videos, and the results are fine now.

2) When moving around in the timeline, in 6.1 I often see a gray "ghost" image, as if there was no K frame available, so it tried to apply the relative frame on top of a solid gray frame. This never seems to appear in the resulting output file, though, but I suspect it's related to problem 1.

3) When I open a file in the timeline, it takes a loooooong time for the thumbnails to appear. Sometimes, it takes ten or twenty seconds between thumbnails, during which time the CPU usage is zero. In 6.0, they appear at a rate of about one per second (on a fast machine).

It looks like something major has changed in the algorithm for generating the output file, at least for .mp4 files, and it's buggy. In the meantime, I'm sticking to 6.0.