Author Topic: Using cut feature to remove clip fragments from storyboard for better preview?  (Read 12775 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
Hello pallab!

Thank you for your reply.
I'm glad that my reply was helpful for you.
Yes, we will add this notice to documentation.
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
Yes, double-clicking the deselected fragment removes it from the storyboard. This allows just the selected fragments to be previewed!

I think adding this step to the user documentation will make it clear for everybody!

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
Hi pallab,

Thank you for you reply.

1. Say I have an unwanted section at the start of the clip (which I want to cut). I can not remove this from the storyboard timeline. It will be deselected, but it still appears on the timeline and can be played.

You need to twice click on the deselected fragment to collapse it. After that it will not be played if you try to preview the selected video fragments.

2. For intermediate sections, if I use M and then N the cut function works and the section is removed from the storyboard.
    However, if I select a section using M and then M, and then subsequently wish to cut this, I can not do it. I can deselect the section, but it still remains on the storyboard timeline and will be played.

You need to use both N and M that are the corresponding hot keys of the Begin and End Marker. If you use only M button then you place the End Markers on the timeline without the Begin Marker, therefore such fragments remains on the timeline and are included to the playback.

It would be good to have a dedicated 'cut' command to explicitly remove a section from the storyboard timeline.
If you use the appropriate mode Cut or Keep and place both the Begin and End marker than there are no problems to make the fragment to be cutted out. So please just take more attention to the mode you selected and placing both Begin and End markers.
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Olga,

Thank you for your detailed response!

The steps you have indicated are very helpful! I have been using them for the past few days and now it feels quite intuituve!

There are 2 cases which I have been unable to work out however:

1. Say I have an unwanted section at the start of the clip (which I want to cut). I can not remove this from the storyboard timeline. It will be deselected, but it still appears on the timeline and can be played.

2. For intermediate sections, if I use M and then N the cut function works and the section is removed from the storyboard.
    However, if I select a section using M and then M, and then subsequently wish to cut this, I can not do it. I can deselect the section, but it still remains on the storyboard timeline and will be played.

It would be good to have a dedicated 'cut' command to explicitly remove a section from the storyboard timeline.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
Hello pallab,

Thank you for your post.

Video Splitter has two editing modes: Cut that is set by default (to delete fragments from the video) and Keep (to save some fragments) that could be set here:

1) Please select on the first step the desired mode - Keep or Cut.

To cut out fragments:

1) The "Cut" mode is selected by default in Video Splitter. Please check if it enabled.

2) Place Begin and End Markers on the timeline to select fragments need to be deleted in the output video file.
These cutted out fragments will be automatically collapsed after you place the End marker.

3) Click the "Save" button to start the editing.

After the editing progress ends, please click this button to open the resulted file .

To keep some fragments from the video we select "Keep" mode in the combobox at the bottom of the Video Splitter's window.

2) Select the fragment beginning using the video slider and by placing the Begin Marker  () or "N" hot key.

4) select the fragment end - please set the End marker - use this button () or "M" hot key.

5) Click the "Save" button and in the opened combobox select "Save".

After the editing progress ends, please click this button to open the resulted file .

If you would like to preview the selected fragments before the editing, double mouse click on any place of cutted out fragment to collapse the fragment. Please note, this step is necessary only in the "Keep" mode, for the "Cut" mode fragments are collapsed automatically after you place Begin/End markers.
So to preview output before the editing you should get the following view of the timeline:

You can also find all useful information in user manual document available at Help -> Help Topics... menu.

And see our new demo video about Video Splitter 6 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOy2FXrF0q8

Was my reply helpful for you?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:09:24 PM by Olga Krovyakova »
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Hi,

I am trying the feature in version 6 to select fragments from multiple clips into a single file. It is a great idea.

Using the n and m keys i am able to select and cut fragments.However, some fragments get automatically removed from the storyboard, and others don't.

I tried using the d command to explicitly remove a fragment from the storyboard preview, but it did not do this.

So the storyboard preview is not a 'clean' rendition of just the clip fragments that have been selected.

Please can you direct me to instructions on how to explicitly control which fragments are displayed in the storyboard?