Author Topic: How do I insert one clip into another?  (Read 19802 times)
vertigoelectric
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
Hmmm... I was just testing this out and now the clip insertion seems to be working as expected.  Not sure what was going on in my previous attempts.  Still, if it happens again I'll try recording it to show you guys.  Until then, I guess things are okay.  Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the tip about collapsing the 'cut out' segments.  It's incredibly helpful.  I didn't quite understand why the cut out segments remained visible on the timeline anyway.  Just seems like wasted space...

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
If it is possible, please record your actions and send them to our support or to me directly with some comments.

Oh, and how do you "collapse the interval", as you mentioned in step 5?

You can collapse a "Cut Out" interval with mouse double-click inside that interval. To expand the collapsed interval you should double-click the marker representing collapsed interval.

vertigoelectric
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
Hello vertigoelectric,
You can add clips into the middle of the file the same way as you do to the beginning or to the end: you just drag the file you want to be inserted and drop to the necessary position pointed by the mouse cursor. To correctly drop the file it is recommended to select a suitable zoom level.

I have tried this several times, but when I drop the file onto the timeline onto an existing media, it doesn't insert it at the point where I dropped it.  It also does some other strange things that are a bit hard to explain right now.  I think what I might have to do is record a video of what's happening so you can see.

As for your other method, it sounds a lot like the same way I would "insert" a clip in Avidemux.... essentially cutting out everything after the desired point, appending the clip, then pasting the cut content back.  I could give it a try.

Oh, and how do you "collapse the interval", as you mentioned in step 5?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:24:12 PM »
Hello vertigoelectric,
You can add clips into the middle of the file the same way as you do to the beginning or to the end: you just drag the file you want to be inserted and drop to the necessary position pointed by the mouse cursor. To correctly drop the file it is recommended to select a suitable zoom level.

The other way you can insert your file in the middle of the other file is as follows: let's say you have 2 files in MEDIA: F1 and F2 and you want to place F2 in the middle of F1.
1)Place the F1 to the timeline.
2)Find a position you would like to insert the second file to.
3)Put the BEGIN marker to that position and END marker to the end of the file
4)Mark this interval as "Cut out" if it is not.
5)You may collapse the interval for your convenience.

6)Add the F2 to the end of F1.
7)One more time add the F1 file to the end of F2.
8)Put the BEGIN marker to the end of the second F1 and END marker to the position you find in 2)
9)Mark the interval as "Cut Out"

vertigoelectric
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
Hello.

How do I insert one clip into another at a particular position?  I know I can add clips at the beginning or end of the timeline, but what about somewhere in the middle?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 05:09:42 PM by Maxim.Sakhankov »