Author Topic: Video Splitter and file metadata  (Read 33857 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
Hi johnnyb,

Thank you for the detailed description and files.
We are looking into the issue.
I'll let you know of  results as soon as they came through.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:12:48 AM »
Hi again,

I think I found a bug, at least this didn't occur earlier. So this is my scenario:

- I record a TV-show with MS Windows Media Center Edition 2005 from DVB tuner.

- I convert this file with PowerCompress to wmv. At this point all of the metadata is present.

- I trim the file with the VideoSplitter and the resulting file lacks (or has wrong) file size and/or aspect ratio metadata.

- I tried manually (and successfully) changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 with this tool: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=116761

So I guess this is some sort of metadata problem.

I checked with the WMP10 the files properties and the aspect ratio translates roughly from my language to: real (22:15), showing (4:3).

So my guess is that at some point this metadata (AspectX and AspectY I assume) gets lost leaving the 2.61:1 as aspect ratio, which is wrong for this video. Or maybe the player just calculates this when metadata is missing? I also noted that the audio and video compression data was missing.

I believe that the two different aspect ratios are necessary because in my understanding as in DVD format the DVB specification handles wide screen the same way; image size is actually the same, but widescreen is produced by stretching pixels when played.

I made two files available for comparison, the first one being the direct result of the conversion and the second one is trimmed with VideoSplitter, I just cut few seconds from the end.

http://www.opettele.net/temp/Sample.wmv

http://www.opettele.net/temp/Sample_Trimmed.wmv

You should see the difference at least with WMP10.

Hope this helps to resolve this problem.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »
Hi again,

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall the application and now it copied all of the fields properly.

So I guess that the problem was me from the beginning, because I installed the new version over the old one without uninstallation at the first time. So some old component may have been left unupdated and that's why it wasn't working properly.

I do some more tests and report if I encounter any problems but for now everything seems to be OK.

Thank you very much, this feature helps me a lot.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
Quote from: "johnnyb"
Hi, and thanks for taking this task so promptly.

Unfortunately this version you posted did not seem to copy any file metadata when trimming. Furthermore, the shortkey "S" did not seem to work either, but the button in the UI did toggle between keep and cut.

Hi johnnyb,

That's quite strange.
the latest web available version of installation is 1.2.703.05.

Metadata feature was yet implemented for ASF,WMV,WMA files only.
What kind of files do you use?

Could you upload us the sample of file you handle with and metadata copying    does not operate?

You can use any file changing services like - http://www.yousendit.com/

As to "S" short cut, for now its functionality is plitted to "S" - [keep on selected fragment] and "D" [cut off selected fragment].
What the button do you mention?
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »
Hi, and thanks for taking this task so promptly.

Unfortunately this version you posted did not seem to copy any file metadata when trimming. Furthermore, the shortkey "S" did not seem to work either, but the button in the UI did toggle between keep and cut.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Hi johnnyb,

We implemented some portion metadata copying in windows media files.
We would appritiate if you test the new version and say what of useful fields we missed

http://www.solveigmm.com/files/SolveigMM_Video_Splitter_1_2_se.zip
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Great to hear that this feature will be implemented, thank you very much. Hope it doesn't take too long ;)

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
Hi johnnyb,

Thank you for suggesting.
You are right such a functionality can be implemented quite easily.
Metadata copying can be even performed by default.

We will add such a feature to one of nearest versions.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
Hi,

I've been using Video Splitter for a while now and I'd like to suggest that you add a functionality to transfer all of the source files metadata (name, description, year etc.) to the trimmed one (if user decides so).

I use splitter a lot with files containing metadata and it is frustrating to copy these manyally, since I believe that it would require next to nothing to implement this functionality ;)

So how about it?