Author Topic: AVI Index Error after Trimming  (Read 10541 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
Hello bobh,

Thank you for your detailed report.

We already had some similar inquire concerning our HyperCam product to outputs AVI files and after some investigation we came to conclusion that this is a bug of VLC.

If you seek this problem on VLC forum you will see a lot of topics with that subject. The files are valid and you can write it to CD/DVD with no problem, in VLC just push ingnore button and it will playback and positioning through it with no problems.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
I've been using AVI Trimmer for a couple of days now, and have encountered a failure. I then downloaded Video Splitter to see if it produces different results. It didn't, so this query applies to both products.
I have a small AVI file, with a bit on either end that I don't want.
I run it through Video Splitter, using Slider K-Frame Positioning, and Markers K-Frame positioning.
It's very fast and no degredation (that I can see).
However, when I play the output in VLC Media Player, I get the message

AVI Index
This AVI file is broken. Seeking will not work correctly. Do you want to try to fix it?

If I click "don't Repair", it plays OK in VLC Media Player anyway. But I had intended to use AVI Trimmer on large AVI files that play for 1.5 hrs on my DVD Player, and I will want to use the seeking facility. (When I use the input to Solveig file as input to VLC Media Player I get no errors reported)

What am I missing? I've looked through all the options and can find no way of affecting the indexing.
Since all I think I'm doing is removing the ends of the file, and keeping to K-Frames (which I believe means that the file won't be recoded),  I don't have any idea what the problem is.
And I can't find anybody else in the Forum that's reporting this, so I assume that it must be something that I'm doing.

This bit added a day later.
I'm assuming that "seeking" is the ability to fast forward and back, or to select a particular time and skip to it. If I've misunderstood the meaning of "seeking" then please let me know.

8 October 2009 - Further Testing
My problems arose when I:
Took a .VOB file from my DVD Recorder.
Ran it through Auto Gordian Knot to convert it to .AVI
Ran the .AVI through SolveigMM Video Splitter
Then the output file from Video Splitter produces an error message in VLC Media Player

However. If I:
Take a .VOB file from my DVD Recorder
Run it through SolveigMM Video Splitter (producing a shortened .VOB file)
Run shortened .VOB file through Auto Gordian Knot to produce a .AVI file
The .AVI file plays fine in VLC Media Player. No problems.

So I've got a workaround. But is it normal for SolveigMM Video Splitter to output a .AVI file that generates errors when the it's played, but work so very well on a .VOB file?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:22:15 AM by bobh »