Author Topic: XP SP1 and AVI files freeze  (Read 38840 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
OK I confirmed that its not an antipiracy measure. I installed XPsp1 on other machine and the AVI files problem is gone.. so I suppose that my main computer have some kind of damaged hardware (some capacitor blew or similar). I was not able to solve the problem upgrading drivers/chipsets etc yet..

Sorry for the headaches caused by this post trying to find the problem.

That's good to kown the problem has been settled!
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
OK I confirmed that its not an antipiracy measure. I installed XPsp1 on other machine and the AVI files problem is gone.. so I suppose that my main computer have some kind of damaged hardware (some capacitor blew or similar). I was not able to solve the problem upgrading drivers/chipsets etc yet..

Sorry for the headaches caused by this post trying to find the problem.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 02:53:54 AM »
in 2001 Divx movies were very popular.. maybe M$ added a antipiracy limitation in XPsp1 to avoid watching high bitrate Divx movies though external devices (CD/DVD/USB)? (remember that this problem is also present when playing video through CD or DVD

LOL   ;D

Don't think so, why don't you upgrade your OS? Obviously you'll get more and more problems as MS ceased a support.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »
Finally I found the problem:
I encoded a sample video at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1250,1400, 1500 bitrates...

Using bitrate 1500 or higher the freeze appear... bitrates below 1500 are safe.
Im speaking about AVI files!!! .. I can play monster MP4 1080 movies with bitrates of 8000 or upper without problem through the USB

EDIT.-

I was measurin the HD speeds:

Main system HD 26 Mbytes/sec (avis with high bitrate work)
External USB HD 33 Mbytes/sec (Avis with high bitrate freeze)

So its not a problem about the data transfer speed or USBs running in 1.0/1.1 mode
Guys,, any clue?

in 2001 Divx movies were very popular.. maybe M$ added a antipiracy limitation in XPsp1 to avoid watching high bitrate Divx movies though external devices (CD/DVD/USB)? (remember that this problem is also present when playing video through CD or DVD

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »
sorry for more questions..

Its possible to disable the m$ splitter for avi files and use other one by default?
I try unregistering quartz.dll but then .. no video plays.
I install haali splitter with AVI support... but Im not able to force this splitter over M$ one. Also I tested changing merit with direcshow control panels to change merit of codecs/splitters unsucesfully.

My solution is stop using all AVI programs that rely on M$ AVI splitter by default, but "Solveigg video splitter" is so good to forget it ;/ there are no so good alternatives available. (avidemux/virtualdub.. but they are unfriendly in comparison for split tasks)

Unfortunatly there is no way for now to use alternative avi splitters in SolveigMM Video Splitter.

For other purposes changing merit for haali should work, you need "Haali Media Splitter (AR)". Also reboot computer after changing merit to take effect.

Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »
sorry for more questions..

Its possible to disable the m$ splitter for avi files and use other one by default?
I try unregistering quartz.dll but then .. no video plays.
I install haali splitter with AVI support... but Im not able to force this splitter over M$ one. Also I tested changing merit with direcshow control panels to change merit of codecs/splitters unsucesfully.

My solution is stop using all AVI programs that rely on M$ AVI splitter by default, but "Solveigg video splitter" is so good to forget it ;/ there are no so good alternatives available. (avidemux/virtualdub.. but they are unfriendly in comparison for split tasks)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:56:43 AM by travolter »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
hi travolter,

I suggest you to check you disk for  errors by standard tool rmb by disk ->Properties "Tools" tab "Check Now".

About USB drivers. Try to search drivers at website of your motherboard's manufacturer. There could be some updates versus drivers that ships on CD with motherboard.

Not lucky installing the updated motherboard drivers.
Drives are all OK ( I tested 2 usb sticks and 3 external HDs).
This seem a hidden problem from M$ that solved silently in XPsp2

Thanks again for your support. Ill try to find a workaround to solve the problem.. but today is very common use external HDs to store movies.. I wonder what Ill do
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:55:08 AM by travolter »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 12:21:44 AM »
hi travolter,

I suggest you to check you disk for  errors by standard tool rmb by disk ->Properties "Tools" tab "Check Now".

About USB drivers. Try to search drivers at website of your motherboard's manufacturer. There could be some updates versus drivers that ships on CD with motherboard.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:52:36 PM »
hi Stanislav!! Excuse me for the delay.

Finally I found the problem!!!

I have all my files into an external USB2 HD.. some avi files load ok and others not (freeze computer in the load process when the MS avi splitter is used).

I did the test. I moved some of these AVI files to my system HD and they work perfectly.
I did another test. I moved some of these AVI files to an external USB stick and the freeze appear again.

Edit.- http://club.myce.com/f34/avi-playback-dvd-freeze-mediaplayer-67943/
same problem here but this time reading from DVD. Moving files to main HD working OK. Windows 2k used (very close to XPsp1)

Im sorry for all possible headaches to the Solveig Team and the time lost finding a solution. Your program is working perfectly and my bug was not related to codecs/splitters/etc.

Anyway I wonder why some AVI files works and others not when they are readed from USB.

Do you have any solution for the USB driver? I was checking my mother board support and the USB2 drivers seems to be included in WindowsCD ... so there are no external downloads.... Maybe exist some third part USB2 windowsXP drivers? Maybe this AVI freeze bug reading from USB could be fixed with some registry key? or its a totally different problem?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:28:17 AM by travolter »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
i have installed ffdshow 3356_20100411_sse_icl11 using these codecs and "ms avi splitter" quartz.dll: 6.05.0001.0902 (test file contains divx3 and ac3)
Media Type regestry entry i have made identical. There where some difference but it's not meaningfull. Unfortunatly no success with reproducing the problem.

Does the problem occures on some files? Some avi files plays fine?
Could you upload one problem file somewhere, to make our test identical?

Also i've noticed that you use old one Video Splitter. Lets try with the latest.

http://www.solveigmm.com/download/SolveigMM_Video_Splitter.exe

It contains more detailed logs (Make log again with new version and upload the results. Don't forget to Tools ->Clear Logs" before starting new test.)

Could you also say what does happen when after "Render Media File" in graphedt you press the play button?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by Stanislav Mikhailenko »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Olga, sorry I forgot the version of quartz.dll: 6.51.902 ( I tested also unregistering and replacing and registeringusing versions from XPsp2 and XPsp3)

About ffdshow : version 3356_20100411_sse_icl11

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 06:23:50 AM »
Hi Stanislav.. I did the tests. Here the results:
http://www.mediafire.com/?49tu322nsv2kp1x

Thanks a lot for your time creating the package.
Lets hope that you will find a clue to solve the problem. As you noticed in the reply of M$ they do not have other arguments than "Use Windows 7"

thanks for the help

edit.- forgot to mention that I always use an old ffdshow version that its stable for my programs.. I didnt need update yet. About Klite I never needed it. Always all video programs were running fine when I used xpsp2/3 + ffdshow codec. xpsp1 is really a mystery. I used Klite old packages 2008/9 or so.. but they didnt solved the problem.. and avi files containing old XVID codecs or similar really dont need the lastest 2011 releases.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:04:01 AM by travolter »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Hello Travolter,

I have install winxp sp1 on test machine and didn't noticed this problem. So i am sure the problem is not with XP's avi splitter.

Could you provide links for codecs you have installed on the system? 
Because as i know latest builds of ffdshow and K-Lite requires winxp sp2.

I need to get more information about the system, please, follow instructions in archive.
smm.zip

Looking forward reply from you

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
Hello Travolter,

> There is any way to use a 3rd party splitter as default one instead this MS quart.dll one?

Thanks you for your question. Unfortunately it is not possible.

Could you please let us know the "quartz.dll" version?
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
thanks for the help Olga.. lets hope that MS guys will have an easy fix.. (and not the common reply: XPsp1 is very old.. upgrade to sp3 or 7!) (I hate these OSes because they killed PAE)

I did a lot of things to solve.. install codecs.. splitters.. but thats not the problem.
I tried to replace the quartz.dll file ( MS avi splitter) by the one of xpsp2 or xpsp3.. but problem continue.

As workaround..
If I unregister quart.dll... I cannt play avi files. There is any way to use a 3rd party splitter as default one instead this MS quart.dll one?