Author Topic: Slow!  (Read 90049 times)
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »
Another test:

I started with a two-hour MPG capture of the Grammy Wards last night. It took about 40 minutes to convert to MPEG-4/AVI, 10 minutes to slice-and-dice the AVI, and about 1 minute to save the commecial-free hour.

But when I split it up in the origfinal MPG form, it took 3 hours and 20 minutes to save 61 minutes of video. On a 3GHZ dual core AMD. Strange!

The original file was 4.5 GB. The output file was 2.2 GB. I have Async-DSL and it would lie up my connection (350Kb/s upload) for at least a day to FTP it to you.

If you wish, I can send you a SAMPLE of the MPG that my Hauppage WinTV-HRV 1800 is producing, before editing or touching in any way. Maybe that would be useful to you to look at. How many minutes to you need? (5 minutes = 200 MB).

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:35 AM »
Hi freshbits ,
Well the slowness is quite queer.
Could you upload us one of your original file to replicate the issue?

Ftp details in PM.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:32 AM »
Good news: The bug(s) where Splitter would fail to complete the tasks, or would freeze, appear to be fixed (one test). But it is still very slow.

I record copies of certain American (NTSC) TV shows and send them to a friend who is on a long trip to Uruguay. I record them in MPEG-2 PS with a Hauppage tuner. But I want them smaller, with commercials removed. I have been converting them to MPEG-4 AVI first, then using Splitter to remove the commercials.

This morning, it took about 10 minutes to find and mark the 14 commercial breaks in the AVI conversion of a 90-minute TV program (3.5 GB). Then it took only 1 MINUTE to save the trimmed AVI file.

As an experiment I used the new Splitter mark the same commercials in the original MPG file. It took 133 minutes to save the trimmed file. Splitter completed the job, but took a very long time to save. I don't know if this is necessary because it is MPG. I worry that some kind of transcoding is going on. I hope not.

I will continue to convert to MPEG-4 AVI first, then trim, for my friend's regular TV shows. I only need to split the orginal MPG files in cases where I want to archive the material without conversion. Splitter works, and I suppose I can live with the slowness if I only do this occasionally. But I hope some day you will find out why it takes so long.

Thank you for the update. I will be happy to take advantage of the new features.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
Hi freshbits,

Thanks for your opinion, really we more aply our effort to the Splitter, but the freeware AVI trimmer is also developing, but not so fast.
So pleas let us know if the MPG problem is settled on your side, it defenetely has to be.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »
Sorry, but I have been off the forum for a few weeks, and I hadn't noticed the update until today.

In the meantime, I have been splitting avi/MPEG4 files. MM Video Splitter is much slicker and easier than AVI Trimmer. It takes only 5-10 minutes to go through, mark and remove the commercials from an hour or two of TV recording, especially when the splitter program is enlarged to full screen. AVI Trimmer can do the job, but Splitrter is so much more of a pleasure to use.

I will install the update later and try again with some MPG files.

-freshbits

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
JMorelo and freshbits, please let me know if you are owners of the Splitter. if not we will give you significant discount

We found you are :) Thank you very much for your help. Don't hesitate to post any problem you enounter usign the Splitter.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
the bug has been fixed

please try  ver. 2.1.901.23, 2009 Jan 23
http://www.solveigmm.com/?Downloads#VideoSplitter

JMorelo and freshbits, please let me know if you are owners of the Splitter. if not we will give you significant discount
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 05:37:06 AM »
Hello JMorelo and freshbits,

Thanks for feedback, we have managed to replicale and even to localize the problem.
It does not happen if reject index using.

So we estimate the bug to be fixed shortly.
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:16 AM »
I installed version 2.1.901.22 and although I no longer get the error dialog boxes I still cannot "Save Fragment As" successfully for large video files. I can save fragments from small video files (~250Mb) but not larger ones (>1Gb) even though the fragment is a fraction of the overall video size.

I noticed that this application uses a lot of memory when using this feature and doesn't free it up until the application is closed. To test this I opened a 250Mb video file and saved a small fragment from it several times noting the memory usage between each save. The memory usage grew each time and would not go down even after closing the video file and opening another. And when the SMMVSplitter.exe process reached the 2Gb memory limit of Windows XP the "Now splitting the sequence..." progress bar would stop and give the appearance of being slow although I doubt it would ever complete. I don't remember having this issue when using an older version of this software under a trial license.

Please fix.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
I copied the empegmux.ax file into the SolveigMM Video Splitter installation directory and tried to save another segment and got the following error messages:

---------------------------
SolveigMM Video Editing Engine error
Cannot play back the file.  The format is not supported. HRESULT: 0x80040265
(Unspecified error

hr = 0x80004005)

OK   

CDSPlayer::PlayerThreadProc() Unexpected error.
(Unspecified error

hr = 0x80004005)

OK   

Here is the update to fix that issue
http://solveigmm.com/files/SolveigMM_Video_Splitter_2_1.zip
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
ok,
thanks, got it.
Is audio stream LPCM?
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »
I copied the empegmux.ax file into the SolveigMM Video Splitter installation directory and tried to save another segment and got the following error messages:

Cannot play back the file.  The format is not supported. HRESULT: 0x80040265
(Unspecified error

hr = 0x80004005)

OK   

CDSPlayer::PlayerThreadProc() Unexpected error.
(Unspecified error

hr = 0x80004005)

OK   

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
Hello JMorelo and freshbits,

Could you please test if new version of the component sole the issue.

Download, unzip and put the empegmux.ax file to the Splitter installed dir. by default it is "C:\Program Files\Solveig Multimedia\SolveigMM Video Splitter"
It should replace the old version of this file.

http://solveigmm.com/files/utils/empegmux.zip

Please let us know the results
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:25 AM »
I am also having a problem with slowness. I tried to split out 5 minutes of an MPEG video and it’s still running after an hour and appears to be hung with very little CPU or Disk usage. When I started the split the progress bar moved quickly but slowed down towards the end and appears to be stuck at 99% now. The SMMVSplitter.exe process has a VM Size of 1,910,320k! My system has 3Gbytes of memory and a 3.2Ghz processor. Input video: Duration: 34:14:66, Byte size: 4 484 425 728, Video MPEG2, Audio MPEG1, Version 2.1.901.19

Please let me know if there is a fix for this.