Author Topic: AVI Trimmer - Useful, but not 100%  (Read 15961 times)
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:04:19 AM »
AVI trimmer operate in k-Frame accuracy mode. read more about  this behaviour here - http://www.solveigmm.com/forum/index.php?topic=2331.msg5881#msg5881

You keep mentioning K-Frame "ACCURACY". Having to cut a minimum of 10 seconds off a video isn't very accurate to me. I'm sure there must be more ways of getting the results i need, losslessly, because this K-Frame stuff isn't convincing. It cuts endpoints perfectly, but not startpoints, without them being 10 seconds or more into the video. 10 seconds is a long time, especially when it is a sweet video of the woman i love most dearly. Those seconds are precious, and i don't want to lose them. I'm sure you understand what i mean :)

Quote from: Dmitry Vergeles
If you sure this is a bug, just cut small part of you video an upload to us for examination.

I think the issue is part of this K-Frame "inaccurate" technology. I tried it on other videos after reading other posts, and it still does it.

Currently we are implementing smart frame accurate editinng mode for AVI and WMV's (for MPEG-2 it is has been already made) that will only re-encode part of GOP, so keep an eye on the news.

I will, certainly. Would it be too much to ask for me to take a look at the source? You probably think i'm mad, but i'm very trustworthy. Being a developer myself for my wife's company, i have to be.

As for open source, to be honest i don't fully undersnad all the pro and contras, may be in future we put all the sources to SourceForge bu i can't say exactly if it happens.

I think you should. Otherwise unless these bugs are fixed, people are either going to go elsewhere, or design their own app. Since the Open Source movement took off, this is the way things are going.

Are you the boss of Solveig? If you are, it's a nice company! Take care ^__^

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
Hi James,

Thank you for so detailed post.

I don't think you deal with the software bug, probably the GOP stucture of our AVI is quite long but AVI trimmer operate in k-Frame accuracy mode. read more about  this behaviour here - http://www.solveigmm.com/forum/index.php?topic=2331.msg5881#msg5881

If you sure this is a bug, just cut small part of you video an upload to us for examination.
Currently we are implementing smart frame accurate editinng mode for AVI and WMV's (for MPEG-2 it is has been already made) that will only re-encode part of GOP, so keep an eye on the news.

As for open source, to be honest i don't fully undersnad all the pro and contras, may be in future we put all the sources to SourceForge bu i can't say exactly if it happens.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:07:01 AM by Dmitry Vergeles »
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:52 AM »
I just downloaded AVI Trimmer yesterday, as i'm editing some holiday videos of my wife and I that i ripped from my DVD Camcorder to AVI using DVDFab Platinum 4, as i want to include titles and edit things that i can no longer do to the original disc using the camcorder, as i finalised the disc so i didn't lose precious memories.

It edits my endpoints, but ignores start times, and it has done it with every chapter of our DVD, plus other random videos. Say if i have a 12 minute chapter, and i want to cut 6 seconds of a fade from the beginning, it doesn't do it. When i cut as much as i want off the end, it works, but i want to do the beginning 6 seconds too!

Other than that, it is awesome, but useless to me for what i need it for. I really want it to work. Using Nero Vision and Windows Movie Maker works, but they are lossy, and sometimes go out of sync.

I think this program should be open sourced, and put on SourceForge. I am positively sure it will get a massive following, and bugs will get fixed much quicker, and support will be better, as Dimitry seems to just give the same answer from what i've seen. As my wife and I are programmers, opensourcing it will allow us to bug fix too. I really like this app, it's cute (as my wife said! ^__^)

Would Solveig be prepared to do it? As it is free, it will possibly save them money too, as SourceForge is mostly volunteers. I would back it all the way!