Author Topic: How to use non key frame markers in MP4 files  (Read 9654 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
Hello nerdoug,

Frame accuracy (Smart Mode) feature is enabled by default in Control menu of Video Splitter. Please enable it if it is disabled.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:23:43 PM by Olga Krovyakova »
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:18:38 AM »
I think I have solved my own problem. It appears that frame trimming was disabled. I'm not sure if this was the default after my recent installation (would seem unlikely), or if I changed these settings while trying to get frame trimming to work. My problem was solved by un-checking these 2 options under control in the main menu bar:
   Slider K-Frame Positioning
   Markers K-Frame Positioning

Some background information: Zoom session recordings are extremely optimized MP4 files to minimize the resulting file size. If the video image is static, K frames will only be generated every 36 (thirty six) seconds. If you open the zoom session a bit early for people to join, and have a static welcome screen displayed during that time, you'll get the 36 second intervals for K frames. Trying to trim to the start of the presenters voice, using K frame trimming will get up to 36 seconds of the preceding video and audio, which may be inappropriate, especially if your attendees are rowdy. Even if you mute them in Zoom, which we don't want to do, you'll get a potentially long gap of silence before the presenter is heard in the recording.

This isn't a criticism of SolveigMM, just an illustration how for Zoom session recordings in particular, frame trimming is a critical feature.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
I bought SolveigMM Video Splitter in order to get non keyframe start points on clips extracted from Zoom recording MP4 files. However, whenever I try to set a marker on a non key frame, it jumps back to the preceding key frame. I'm wondering if:
1) I'm following the wrong procedure to select my clip start point.
2) I need to do some extra set up to enable non key frame markers, or mp4 file support.
3) SolveigMM doesn't actually have this capability despite what I've seen in writing.
Any assistance would be appreciated.