Author Topic: Installation Problems  (Read 10755 times)
hurricane51
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:15:38 AM »
I was successful at updating to version 7.6.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
Hello hurricane51,

Thank you for your posts.
We regrettably have not reproduced specified by you issues with 7.6.2011.05 version, we have tried on different computers with Windows 10.
According to messages about missed codecs, I would recommend for future to install K-lite codec pack.
https://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm
Regards,
Olga Krovyakova
Solveig Multimedia

hurricane51
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »
Removed Ver 7.6.2011.05 from the system and installed Ver 7.4.2007.29. That fixed the problem of the missing Preferences window, but AC3 codec was still missing, even though I installed various versions of AC3Filter. Finally installed LAVFilter Ver 0.74.1 and that fixed both the AC3 codec missing error and the waveform missing.

The problem with launching from the Start menu appears to have disappeared, but that will have to be tested over multiple launches. Next I'll do an upgrade to the latest version (7.6.2011.05) to see if the problems recur.

hurricane51
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »
Video Splitter Ver 7.6.2011.05
Win10 Pro x64

Briefly, I uninstalled VS from my computer before replacing it. Fresh install on a new box, using a new license. I originally posted a problem with the Preferences window being blank, but there is a raft of problems and nothing I do seems to make an impact.

1. Preferences brings up the window with a big blank square where the various settings should appear.
2. Even though I've run ACFilter, it does not recognize that codec. Every once in a while, it won't recognize the DTS codec -- other times it's fine.
3. I can't get the waveform to show.
4. (Weirdest). If I launch VS from the desktop shortcut, all is well. If I choose to pin that shortcut to the start menu, most of the time all I get is a little blue circle rotating for a few seconds then nothing. It never launches -- nothing appears in Task Manager. If I go to Program Files and select the executable then pin to start, it behaves the same way. If I run the executable, it launches fine.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no improvement. I tried installing as Administrator with no change. Likewise no change when anti-virus was disabled. No change whether it was run in evaluation mode or activated.

This is a new build with new hardware and a completely clean install of Windows 10. I've been installing OSes and programs for 20 years, and everything with this install worked flawlessly, all programs run smoothly. The only gotcha is VS. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone suggest something?