Author Topic: Seeking in video files ( Just a suggestion) !  (Read 10904 times)
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
Hello birdy,

Thank you very much for the explanation, I got your point now.
I'll provide your description to a developers team.

Hello Maxim,

I don't know if you guys realize what you just did! But you just put an end to a lots of premiere user's frustration!
There has been for a long time a disappointment for these users, having to re-encode their videos after a cut.
By adding support for EDL you have responded to my request as now I can choose how to edit my files and use
your software to save it and I'm sure if the premiere community learn about this new feature, they will be running
to your arms with joy :)

Great job guys! Thanks for the hard work :) 

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
Hello birdy,

Thank you very much for the explanation, I got your point now.
I'll provide your description to a developers team.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
Hello Maxim,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes I had realized about the timeout in the video preview and this is exactly what to my view, makes the preview function difficult to use.
If what you want to do when cutting (or keeping) parts from a video is to simply remove some commercials then it's (almost) ok to have a basic preview function. But
if you are removing many parts (imagine you are editing an interview and you want to remove all parts where the journalist is asking questions and speaking and you
want to keep only the comments and answers by the guest. Imagine sometimes the journalist will intervene only for few seconds just to say one sentence and in most
cases you will probably even miss this part when seeking and it will not be cut. Or it will take you a long time and lots of effort to find it and finally cut it out).
My suggestion would be to remove the timeout in the seeking function and get a real time preview. If you watch the video I posted you see how smooth the seeking is
and it feels like you are actually watching the video while seeking. This way you don't miss anything and you can edit fast and easy. Please see how the seeking is done
in both directions (forward and backwards) in my video. You just find the scene you are looking to keep or cut in few seconds. And when it comes to higher quality video
content, it would be a good idea to add support for hardware acceleration, cuda etc...

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Hello birdy,
According to your suggestion I'd like to explain that there is a little timeout for updating the video preview.
If you move slider quite fast - there is no updating of the preview, but when you move slider a little slower - you should see the video preview updated. However, it depends on the exact video, e.g Full HD or 2K videos can be less responsive than the lower-resolution videos.
Please check it.
Also there is a zoom feature along with video thumbnails which can help in navigation.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »
I am newly using SolveigMM Video Splitter and as I have mentioned in the other thread I posted I find this software to be in many ways superior to the other commercial ones.
But by using it I came across one issue that I though I would share here and I believe that fixing this will take the editing experience with this software to a new level. The main
job when editing video content is to seek and find the exact place you want to set you markers. This can take more or less time and become easy or complicated depending on
how the software works.

Seeking in SolveigMM Video Splitter works kind of like Windows Media Player. When using the seekbar with your mouse pulling it back and forth will not show the video content.
Once you release the mouse you will see the content at the location you have positioned the seeker. For this you have to use the keyboard shortcuts (right and left) to go to next
K Frames and then use CNTL right or left to get the exact position. While this behavior is good and enough for a media player, in my view it's not the best for a good editing software.

To explain what I exactly mean, I have uploaded a very short video (30 secs) that shows how the seeking is done in other editing software. https://youtu.be/N821q3H2t9A
I have used adobe premiere for this example, but other more simple software like VideoReDo or ones as simple as virtualdub have the same behavior when seeking video files.

I don't know how complicated it can be to change and add an option for this feature in SolveigMM Video Splitter. But if it can be done, it will certainly be a huge improvement.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:03:23 AM by birdy »