Author Topic: AVI frame accuracy trimming. Testing  (Read 77105 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
An update has been posted.
You can download the updated beta from here:
http://solveigmm.com/files/SolveigMM_Video_Splitter_2_3_beta.zip

The installer version is  2.3.1010.25.

Fixes:
- audio/video synchronization lost in files with long GOP length in AVI and ASF/WMV files.
- invalid output video while cutting some ASF/WMV file with frame accuracy.
- second fragment in some cases was invalid or absent in output file after trimming.
- added logging system.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:03:11 PM by Dmitry Vergeles »

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
You can download the updated beta by the link

The installer version is  2.3.1010.12.

Fixes:
- Crash while trying to load file in a splitter on some machines.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:50:12 PM by Dmitry Vergeles »

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Thanks for your info pallab, will check it.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:23 AM »
I am using Vista x64 and have an observation about memory usage.

Just observing memory usage through Windows Task Manager when opening, splitting & closing the same wmv file 3 times I notice that the memory usage creeps upwards each time.

Not sure if this is significant but thought to mention it - is this expected behaviour?

Step                                                    Mem usage (1st time, 2nd time, 3rd time)
-----                                                    ---------------------------------------
                                                           1st       2nd         3rd
                                                            ---       ----         ----
1. Start Splitter                                      4184K    N/A          N/A

2. Open a wmv file about 800 Mb in size    25572K  41344K     43444K

3. Splitting 10 fragments (using Save As    44498K  49664K     56548K
    Fragments)                                       

4. Splitting completes                             41196K  42876K     47184K

5. Close the file                                     32472K  37068K     41888K

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi Maxim,

Thanks for posting the updated beta, I will capture the screenshot if I observe this again!

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »
You can downloaded the updated beta by the link.

The installer version is  2.3.1009.17.

Fixes:
- inability to trim multiple fragments from the single GOP.
- incorrect wmv aspect ratio after trimming( while playing trimmed file in WMP )

pallab, as for your problem - I wasn't able to reproduce it yet. Maybe you can give me an extended info from the error/crash window, or make it's screenshot?

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:42 AM »
Hi! Stability of the new beta 2.3.1009.08 is much better with wmv files!

I seem to see a problem when I have 2 instances open (I find it useful to have 2 instances open to make my workflow more efficient - while 1 instance is performing the trimming operation on clip A, I use the second instance to browse clip B and select which sections to keep). In this situation the instance that is trimming may freeze after reaching 99% complete for a particular tasks. I  then see a Microdoft Visual C++ Runtime Library  error window:

Runtime Error!

Program:D:\Program Files (x86)\S...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
      Please contact the application's support team for more information.

For example, in the case i am looking at the trimmer task was going to process 16 tasks, but hung at task 1/16 (99% of current task, 6% of total).
 However, in a previous occurence it completed 4 out of 17 tasks and hung on the 5th one.
 In both occurences it hangs at 99% of the current task. The trimmed clip file is written to disk but not closed properly.

This has happened 4 times over the past day. In some cases the C++ Runtime Error window was not displayed - in this case the trimming process could be cancelled and the SolveigMM window closed, but the SMMVSplitter.exe *32 process was left hanging and had to be killed through Task Manager.

I have observed this with both wmv & mpg files. It does not happen the first time I start the second instance - usually both instances complete one or two clip processing sequences successfully before one of them freezes.

I have not observed this scenario with the previous stable version (2.2.1005.17).

Maybe you will be able to reproduce this in your lab?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:12:57 AM by pallab »

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
Hi! I have downloaded from the original 2_3_beta.zip link posted by Dmitry, but this file is timestamped 2010-07-13 and has the same name as the previous beta. Is this the correct link for the updated beta?
pallab, thanks for the info.

We had some issues with file storage.
Now the correct beta version can be downloaded by the same link.

The installer version should be  2.3.1009.08. This is the actual version with Windows Media files trimming support.

the beta is very unreliable when it comes to frame accuracy trimming.
2.) some avi's make the trimming process hang (for example one avi always got stuck at 39% trimming, but worked when I had frame accuracy disabled)

marcelser, if it is possible, please copy the trimming configuration info for this file and send to the technical support( http://solveigmm.com/?Support&id=Feedback ) or to me directly.
To make such file please do the following: Load your file in Splitter, Set the trimming configuration(preferred filters, trimming mode). Then open "Tools"->"Preferences" menu and push "Copy info to clipboard" button.
Then crate a text file, open it and paste the info there or just paste it in your letter.

4.) big avi files in HD quality: Trimming is not exact. Especially with big files it seems that the trimming is not accurate, it always encodes 1-2 seconds before the actual trimming point
Please explain what is your HD quality file? What is the video format of this avi and what is its length. This info could be generated by any video analyzing tool.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:18:29 PM by Maxim.Sakhankov »

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
the beta is very unreliable when it comes to frame accuracy trimming.

I noticed the following problems:
1.) wmv - audio is always out-of-sync, not a single file had correct audio. Audio is always in advance, the video which the audio belongs too is show up 10-20 seconds later then the sound for it
2.) some avi's make the trimming process hang (for example one avi always got stuck at 39% trimming, but worked when I had frame accuracy disabled)
3.) wmv - trimmer often produces very small files (only a few KB) on first try, if you try again it trimms ok (with above problems)
4.) big avi files in HD quality: Trimming is not exact. Especially with big files it seems that the trimming is not accurate, it always encodes 1-2 seconds before the actual trimming point
5.) you can not switch from frame accuracy to non-frame accuracy and enable k-frames navigation and markers if you still have markers set from the frame-accuracy mode. It makes the trimmer hand when you try to trim.

All-in-All Frame accuracy trimming seems not yet very stable and usability is quite limited with wmv's always beeing out-of-sync in audio and I don't want to convert them to avi or else I wouldn't use a lossless trimmer. BTW: are there any plans to support .mp4 files in the next release?

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 02:23:11 AM »
Hi! I have downloaded from the original 2_3_beta.zip link posted by Dmitry, but this file is timestamped 2010-07-13 and has the same name as the previous beta. Is this the correct link for the updated beta?

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »
I did a quick test, but after 5 seconds I already discovered something strange:
If you start with a small window, load a (WMV) file and resize the form (=make it bigger), the video window resizes but the actual displayed video size stays the same (small) size. I will try to test this with other source material.

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
An update has been posted. Please download the new version.

(use the link from the first post)

In this version WMV/ASF frame-accurate splitting added in test mode.
Please let us know about all errors that you face using the current beta.

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
Hi Maxim
Looking forward to the next beta.
Tony

• Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »
Hi Pallab,
Thank you for your interest. I guess next week, Maxim will update testing version with WMV support
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »
Hi! I guess you guys must be busy with the development, just wondering if there was an updated beta coming up which has been through some regression testing for wmv file editing?

Warm regards,

Pallab