Author Topic: problems when splitting WMV files  (Read 8490 times)
  • Administrator
  • Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
Dear Statick,

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

>>the installer promised me that i was installing "software that works", but i am immediately having the following major problems :
Yes we are doing our best to match the slogan, but things happen, you know..

the preview window does not really function properly. if i press "play" the video plays just fine. but if i move the slider around, or skip frames, the window does not update to show the frame i'm positioned at. it's not possible to find the frame i want to make a cut because i have no way of seeing it. this happens with all WMV videos i have tried. also, often when pressing "play" nothing actually happens at all. when this happens, i have to re-load the input file, then it usually plays fine the second time. again, this happens with ALL wmv files i have tried.

I guess the problem caused by your default decoder installed on PC. do you have any codec-pack installed?

Please load the WMV, go to menu->tools>Show preview filters and see what decoder is used. Unfortunately it is very hard to force an application be stable is are used not very good codecs.

when i choose to make the cut, i am sometimes asked more than once for the filename to save as. one time i was asked for 4 filenames. if i choose "file1.wmv" the first time, the second one will prompt me "file1 0001.wmv" then the next "file1 0002.wmv" and so on.
only the last filename is used when the cut is made.

If you describe the certain actions we will be able to replicate and fix that.

it's not possible to seek individual frames, only key frames. i know that editing on non-key frames is not really feasible, but it would still be nice to seek to them. also a seek to start and seek to end button would be useful too.
It should be possible if to switch off  menu->control->Slider  K-Frame positioning

for cutting AVI and MPG files i use "AviDemux" which works really well, is simple yet powerful, and is completely free. the only problem is that it does not fully support WMV files - it can read them and edit them no problem, but has to save them in a different container format such as MKV or OGM. for this reason i am evaluating this solveigMM software.

Thank you for the criticism we are still trying to make a software that could prompt people to say something opposite  :)

Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia

• Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
i've downloaded the solveigMM video splitter evaluation, in order to cut ads out of some WMV files. the installer promised me that i was installing "software that works", but i am immediately having the following major problems :

the preview window does not really function properly. if i press "play" the video plays just fine. but if i move the slider around, or skip frames, the window does not update to show the frame i'm positioned at. it's not possible to find the frame i want to make a cut because i have no way of seeing it. this happens with all WMV videos i have tried. also, often when pressing "play" nothing actually happens at all. when this happens, i have to re-load the input file, then it usually plays fine the second time. again, this happens with ALL wmv files i have tried.

when i choose to make the cut, i am sometimes asked more than once for the filename to save as. one time i was asked for 4 filenames. if i choose "file1.wmv" the first time, the second one will prompt me "file1 0001.wmv" then the next "file1 0002.wmv" and so on.
only the last filename is used when the cut is made. i also notice this bug was raised by another poster back in april, yet has not been fixed yet.

it's not possible to seek individual frames, only key frames. i know that editing on non-key frames is not really feasible, but it would still be nice to seek to them. also a seek to start and seek to end button would be useful too.

for cutting AVI and MPG files i use "AviDemux" which works really well, is simple yet powerful, and is completely free. the only problem is that it does not fully support WMV files - it can read them and edit them no problem, but has to save them in a different container format such as MKV or OGM. for this reason i am evaluating this solveigMM software.

this solveigMM video splitter costs $40 and does not work anywhere near as well as AviDemux, which is free, when it comes to actually cutting stuff. at the moment i do not think i will be purchasing this software.