How to edit MP4 file
By Olga Krovyakova - modified October 6, 2023, created March 19, 2019.
MPEG-4 Part 14, or MP4, is a media container format that is part of the MPEG-4 standard. Most often the extension is used to package digital audio and video streams, subtitles, posters, and metadata. Do you need to edit an MP4? SolveigMM offers Video Splitter — a convenient and intuitive tool to help you with this. After using it you will not return to other programs. SolveigMM Video Splitter is an advanced video and audio editor that allows you to manage content in various formats. And also Video Splitter is used as an MP4 editing software. The application ensures that the edited video does not lose the original quality of the file. You get a high quality result file no matter at what time interval you need to edit.
How to edit an MP4 file?
Using Video Splitter from SolveigMM you can:
- split video into several files;
- cut out fragments from the video both at the beginning and at the end of the recording, and from the middle;
- simultaneously cut out several fragments of the source file (for example, to remove ads) with frame-by-frame precision;
- flip the video vertically or flip it horizontally, etc.
Sequence of work in the program
1. To edit MP4 videos install SolveigMM Video Splitter on your PC. When downloading the video editor please note that the version of the program must match the bitness of the computer's operating system.
2. Open the program to edit an MP4 file.
3. To import the required file into the MP4 editor go to "File - Add multimedia files". Select the MP4 for editing by left-clicking on its name. Or use the Enter key.
Also the file for video editing must be dragged onto the timeline manually.
4. Further steps of MP4 editing depend on the goals.
a. If you need to split one video file into several fragments, place start / end markers on the footage timeline. To improve the accuracy of editing MP4 you can use the visual timeline which allows you to identify the necessary frame. A more detailed description of the process can be found here.
b. If you need to flip the video by 90, 180, 270 degrees to the left or to the right or flip it vertically or horizontally use the functions in the Rotate Video section.
c. If you need to trim the video, place the start / end markers for each fragment you want to trim, move the cursor over the area between the markers and click on the scissors button. In this case, the fragment will be marked as “Cut out”. Pressing the button again will enable you to mark the fragment for keeping.
d. If you need to remove an unnecessary fragment or several unnecessary fragments from the video sequence while editing an MP4, use the visual timeline of the video editor for MP4 (for frame-by-frame precision), place the start / end markers on the timeline of the video sequence using the "Add marker" button or a similar command in the context menu. Then select the fragment that you want to cut from the final video, right-click on it and use the "Cut out selected fragment" command. Thus, to edit MP4 videos you need to select all the fragments to be cut out from the source file, and in each of them click on the button with the scissors.
5. To complete the editing MP4 process do not forget to save the work done. In the "Save as" window that will appear after clicking the "Save" button select the file name and the path to save, click the "Save" button.
After these simple steps in the Windows MP4 editor the program will start editing MP4. When the process is over you will be prompted to open the folder with the resulting file.
Watch how to edit an MP4 with Video Splitter
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I trim an MP4 video?
How to rotate an MP4 video?
How to remove audio from an MP4?
Edit video with SolveigMM Video Splitter quickly, efficiently, without loss. To edit an MP4 file download and install the video editor on our website.
Try our software today to see that editing MP4 videos can be a quick and easy task!
Olga Krovyakova is the Technical Support Manager in Solveig Multimedia since 2010.
She is the author of many text and video guidelines of company's products: Video Splitter, HyperCam, WMP Trimmer Plugin, AVI Trimmer+ and TriMP4.
She works with programs every day and therefore knows very well how they work. Сontact Olga via email@example.com if you have any questions. She will gladly assist you!