How to split MKV file
MKV file format provides high quality of video and sound, but files of this format are usually large. Therefore, it is often necessary to split MKV files into smaller parts to, for example, burn them on DVD discs.
This article describes how to easily and quickly cut a MKV file into several parts or save one fragment using SolveigMM Video Splitter. It works with frame accuracy and needs no decoding. It keeps the quality of the source and doesn't cause audio/video desync. The same procedure can be used for cutting and trimming AVI files as well as MPEG-2, MP4, MOV, AVCHD, MPEG-1, ASF, WMV, MP4, WMA, WAV, WEBM files.
1. Download and install SolveigMM Video Splitter.
2. Start program and open your MKV file using Input file button of the main window (рicture 1) or use File -> Оpen Media File....
3. Now you need to set markers to mark the beginning and end of fragments.
To do this, simply move the slider to the desired position or manually set the desired time in the time field, and click Add marker. Add markers in the same way to the required place of beginning and end of fragments. As a result you get a movie, divided into several parts (picture 2).
4. To save all chosen fragments of the movie, click on the Save all fragments as button (picture 3), or right-click on the timeline and in the context menu select Save all fragments as (picture 4).
5. If you want to keep only one fragment, click on Save current fragment as (picture 5) or right-click on the timeline and in the context menu, select Save Selected Fragment as (picture 6).
6. In the now opened dialog window enter the file name for the output file and the folder to save to and click Save.
The file editing begins and a progress bar shows the running task.
As a result you get several fragments of the original MKV file or a single saved fragment.